Missed a couple workouts late last week as circumstances found me living the solo parent life temporarily. I missed the workouts, but I missed the people more.

WOD for Monday 110412
Establish 1RM

I was looking forward to the snatch today. Don’t remember ever saying that before. It’s been a bit over a month since I last tested for a 1RM. My body felt well rested with the time off. I had every expectation that I’d set a new 1RM today. Yeah, well, not so much.

Warm up sets of 2 reps each at 95# felt slow. Seemed like I was landing well, but I was slow getting under the bar and I was not squatting deep in the catch.

Coach Erin observed and encouraged me to work on snatch balances for a few reps at this weight to practice getting down into a deep squat and moving quickly. It helped to a degree, but for whatever reason, I just wasn’t putting the whole package together very well today. No big deal.

After a few more rounds alternating snatches and snatch balance at 95# I moved up to 115#. The heavier weight actually felt more comfortable than 95#. Go figure. After a few singles, I moved to 125#.

Those were not great lifts. In hindsight, I should have retreated back to 115#. By the time I got through those I had a bit of time left and more than a bit of attitude. For no sound reason other than curiousity and stubbornness, I threw another 20# on the bar and went to 145#. Let’s just say I had a couple of decent snatch pulls at that weight. It was obvious that it was time to move on to the METCON.

AMRAP in 12 minutes:
5 Push Press (65% bodyweight)
10 Pushups
15 Double Unders

Coincidentally, 145# is 65% of my bodyweight, so I was ready to go. Craig and I confered for a few minutes and I told him my intent to go Rx. I should have known better when he questioned me with that. He’s got more experience at this stuff than I do. I didn’t expect the push presses too be too difficult. Having completed “Grace,” 30 clean and jerks at 135# for time, in under 5 minutes recently, push presses at 145# didn’t sound so bad. And again, today was another shining example of how poorly I understand my own capabilities.

The first round went FAST! Second round went even faster because even the double unders went unbroken! Now I could be way off the mark here, but I’m reasonably sure I finished two rounds in under two minutes…then reality set in.

I’m not sure exactly what happened. Maybe my brain did the conversion and said, “12 min =12 rounds?! No way!” Maybe the extra 10 pounds per push press was more taxing than I accounted for. Maybe I was just too fast out of the gate and not very strategic. Probably it was a combination of all of the above. I’m honestly not sure, but things slowed WAY down after round two.

The push presses got VERY heavy in the third round. Push ups slogged down dramatically and double unders from then on out were done in runs of 5-ish.

I dropped the bar after two presses in the 4th and 5th rounds. Funny to think that doing an extra 145# power clean was a “break.” All push ups were strict pushups, but after the second round were done in micro-sets ranging from 3-1. I had to take a knee periodically between them too.

When the 12 minutes elapsed, I’d completed only 5 full rounds, 5 additional push presses and 10 push ups (Rx). I was spent!

The very short time off helped me learn a bit about myself. I still don’t have the discipline to consistently exercise on my own. I was a solo parent from Thursday through Sunday. While the kids and I were busy, there were windows where I could have thrown down a quick METCON.

Hell, I even had one picked out from the CFD travel WODs. I kept telling myself I wanted to do the 10 rounds for time of 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 10 air squats. “No equipment. No running. No excuse not to.” But I never did it. I’m disappointed in myself for that. I thought I was more disciplined.

On the flip side of that coin, I’ve also come to understand that while the workouts at CFD are important, the people are more important. What I really missed most was the disruption to what’s become my morning routine. I missed the chance just to catch up with folks who have become such an important part of the majority of my mornings.

It felt really odd not to be able to connect with them even just for a moment to share a laugh or two and to see how they were doing. 6:15 crew, I really appreciate all of you! It’s a special kind of lunacy to share this stuff that early in the morning with enthusiasm!