Second date with Crossfit benchmark WOD “Nancy” today. This one got deep inside my head. Thank goodness my wife Erin knows about benchmark WODs, or things could have been really awkward last night.

WOD for Tuesday 061813
3 sets @70% of max reps (ie, if your max set is 10 reps, you’ll do 3 sets of 7 reps)

Shared rings with Nat and Mike this morning. I got 3 good sets of 4 reps each in. Mike tackled unassisted ring dips for the first time today and did great! Nat is a ring dip cyborg. He gets in those rings works like a piston in an engine. Great stuff.

Front Squat
5 reps @45% – 95#
5 reps @55% – 125#
3 reps @65% – 145#
3 sets of 4 reps @75% 1RM  – 165#

Craig and I shared a rack for this and worked weights from 95# up to 165#. This felt surprsingly good to. All squats were well below parallel and form felt very good. Looking forward to testing for a new 1RM soon.

5 Rounds For Time:
Run 400m
15 Overhead Squats (95/65)
Time Cap = 25 minutes

So last night when I saw the WOD, I immediately turned to Facebook and began whining. I posted, “Aw Jeez. I’m just going to pretend I didn’t see tomorrow’s workout…and try not to have nightmares.” Yeah, that didn’t go so well.

Somewhere around 4 am I was fighting off very vivid images of being forced to spend eternity doing squats with a carnival side show caliber obese woman mounted on my shoulders. I woke up thrashing muttering something along the lines of “No, Nancy. No!” I don’t think I woke Erin, but at least she would have had a healthy understanding of where it came from. Otherwise….AWKWARD!

In preparing for the WOD, I checked my old records.  At the start of the year I did this workout and completed it in 19:20, Rx. I told folks around the box that the goal today was to bring the workout in under 19 minutes.

At the same time, I was preparing mentally myself for that not to happen, afterall this was my fourth straight day training. I don’t usually work 4 days straight. My body needs some down time and rest days. I was building in my justification right from the outset. I set my bar up deep inside the box well away from the door. I had to pass by 4 other athletes’ stations coming or going. Before the WOD started I actually mentioned it to Anita, the athlete in front of me. I jokingly said, “Anita, if I don’t PR today. This is why. I’m too far from the door.” She asked, “Do you want to switch places?” I winked and told her, “NO! I want an excuse! I’m just getting my story straight.”

My only real strategy going into this was to bring all runs in under 2 minutes. I figured that would be a sustainable pace which wouldn’t leave me too gassed for the overheads.

First run out: 1:43! Too damn fast. Always happens! Some day I’ll learn to actually wear a watch. Fortunately all other runs came in right around 2 minutes. I was off a second or two in either direction each round.

The 5th run got confusing. I left at 14:0 something and said to myself, “Ok. 16 minutes. You’ve got to be back by 16 minutes.” As I was runnning out, in my head I was just repeating “16 minutes” over and over again. In my oxygen deprived state, by the time I got to the 200M turn around I had gotten confused. I  convinced myself I left at 16 minutes and needed to be back by 18! I didn’t think I’d get the last round of squats done under 1 minute. I spent the last 200M berating myself trying to figure out how the WOD got away from me. When I turned the corner into the box and saw 16:0-something I was incredibly relieved. At that point I was like, “16 minutes? Damn! I’ve got all day.”

I don’t know the break downs on the squats. First set was unbroken, the last set was 10 and 5, I think? Middle sets were parsed out. In the end, I dropped the bar at 17:45 and immediately collapsed to the floor next to it.

So from 19:20 to 17:45. A 1 minute 35 second improvement. Maybe the next time Nancy comes around for another date. My dreams won’t be quite so haunted.