Pretty good time tumbling, hanging, swinging, and working on core elements this morning. I didn’t have a structured plan in mind, so it was a bit of this and a touch of that and shifting to empty space where ever other folks weren’t working, so that I would stay out of the way. I’ll have to develop more organized plans going forward to ensure I use the time more effectively. But not a bad session, in general.

More important than my work out, I saw the orthopedist today to discuss the results of the recent MRI. It’s official. I have an “oblique tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus extending to the tibial articular surface.” That all sounded very daunting when the doctor rattled it off the report. When he broke out the model of the knee and explained it all in layman’s terms, it really is a much less intimidating situation.

Yes, the meniscus is torn, but otherwise he declared my knee completely healthy. He used the analogy of having a hang nail inside my knee. It’s torn and irritated and when I move in certain directions, I’m aggravating that injured area. Same thing when you have a hang nail, right? You bump or aggravate that area and the body sends a pain message saying, “Knock it off!” That’s the pain I’m feeling. But the critical piece here is I’m not further injuring things.

He’s convinced that surgery is the best option and that it’s very unlikely that the situation can be remedied through PT or other methods. I’m not completely convinced of that yet and will be consulting other professionals soon. I will say though, as resistant as I am to the idea of surgery, this doctor impressed me as well as Erin. His immediate ability to see the global situation with my past MRSA infection, current blood clot etc and his consideration of that has given me confidence. If I elect the surgery, I have every confidence in him.

The key bits of information that I took away from today’s appointment.

-) I’m injured, but I’m not worsening the injury by continuing to work out. I still intend to stay away from most lifting until I get this all resolved.

It just seems like a bad practice to be under a heavy bar for say a 1RM back squat when I don’t know if and when my knee is going to buckle on me. Case in point, this morning I was doing diving forward rolls from a partial squat. I did three rolls that felt great. On the fourth one the left knee popped during the push off and left me with tears in my eyes coming out of the roll. As far as I could feel, that roll was identical to the first three. I can’t tell you what was different that time, so there’s no way for me to prevent that kind of thing happening again. With that in mind, getting under a heavy bar just seems reckless.

Knowing that I’m not worsening the injury affords me time. How I resolve this and how quickly is largely going to be a reflection of my patience and tolerance for the pain. This is comforting. I of course want to be better as quickly as reasonably possible, but I have the luxury of time to consider a host of options/solutions.

-) Now that we know exactly what we’re dealing with, the projected recovery if I go the surgical route, sounds MUCH better than what explained to me as ‘likely’ prior to the surgery. Before the MRI, the PA was forecasting two weeks on crutches and 6 weeks of light activity. The way the orthopedist is talking now, he’s predicting I’ll walk out of the procedure on my own power without crutches! I will of course need to baby the knee for a while, but not like what was previously forecast.

-) The blood clot and thinners definitely complicate the possibility of surgery, but not much. It’s a matter of coordinating timing for various medications, but the risk of additional clotting seems to be minimal.

In the end, having real information instead of speculation has done a great deal to improve my attitude about the situation. I still want to get this all resolved in a realistic timeline and way, but it’s a whole lot less intimidating than it was a day ago. That’s for sure.