Knee-hab is coming along great. Three weeks removed from surgery and day to day I feel capable of anything. The healing has gone so well that I have to really concentrate now on not overdoing things.

I’m constantly tempted to experiment with something (running, jumping, bending, squatting), but I keep reminding myself, “you’re only three weeks into this. You’ve got at three weeks to go babying this knee.” That being said, there are still plenty of creative constructive ways to get my work outs in.

4/26 Rx Metcon:
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
12 dumbbell deadlifts
9 dumbbell hang squat cleans
6 dumbbell push jerks

Pretty sure the assigned strength this day was back squats. Don’t recall. Regardless, I skipped it. I did my foam rolling, wall sits and bike ride while the rest of the group worked through their lifts.

The METCON was very amusing. The group was using two kettlebells for all of the prescribed work. I used one (35#) held in my right hand with all of my weight loaded in my right leg. I also did hang power cleans rather than squat cleans.

So my METCON became

12 KB straight-leg deadlift
9 KB hang power cleans
6 KB push press

Two rounds into this and my right glute was on FIRE! Kind of startled me how quickly the burn kicked in. I had ambitions of completing at least five rounds based on the scores from the previous class and counting for the scales. However, after the prescribed 10 minutes I completed 4 rounds, 12 deadlifts, 9 cleans and THREE push press. Three reps short! Ah well.

It has been pretty entertaining exploring these different movements cobbling together these scaled routines.

Doing all of this work on one leg became an interesting exercise in balance. I had told the group before we started that someone better record the WOD because it was going to be YouTube gold. Coach Doug reassured me that everything would be fine, but after watching me warm up a few reps of each movement he giggled and admitted, “OK, yeah. That does look kind of silly.” We had a good laugh about that. It might have looked silly, but it was still a very effective workout.

4/28 RX Metcon:
EMOM 12 minutes:
Odd: 3 Bar Muscle ups
Even: 25 Double Unders

Even after a day of rest, I was feeling pretty tight this day. I did my knee-hab work and elected to take my longest bike ride to date. 20 minutes, 5 miles, 159 calories. I was sweaty when it was over. So, good enough.

4/29 Rx Metcon:
For time:
Wall Ball (20/14)

I had seen this workout coming earlier in the week and was looking forward to it. I talked it over with my wife on Thursday. Her experience working with adaptive athletes gives her some great tools to help with my knee-hab. She suggested doing seated wall balls. Ninety reps sounded awful, but I figured with a lighter ball and a lower target, it was doable. So I spent the night kind of reconciling/psyching myself up for those.

I originally planned to do wall tosses where I would stand sideways to the wall and throw the ball laterally across my body from the right hip, bounce it off the wall, catch and return. When I mentioned that last night, both Erin and my son screwed their faces up in knots, clearly disapproving.

“That sounds like a lot of torque on the knee, Dad.”

“No, it’ll be all right. I’ll sit back with my weight loaded in the right leg.”

“For 90 reps? What if you lose your balance?”

I guess if even the twelve year old can see the holes in my plan, then it’s not a solid plan. So, ok seated wall balls.

When I explained my intent to Coach Doug this morning, he didn’t agree. “Ninety reps is way too much for all shoulders and upper body like that. How about kettle bell swings?”

“Hmm, I don’t know about the load. Not sure the PT would think that’s a great idea. Let me think on it.”

While the group did split jerks, I did seated presses working up to a 2 Rep Max of 125#. The most I’ve ever done for a strict press one time is 165#, so this seemed like a decent weight. I was tempted to try to find a one rep max. However, the idea of losing control of the bar over my head and possibly having it land in my lap, or on my knees seemed like a really bad idea. So I quit after the 125.

Driving home I thought more about how I could have tested that 1RM safely. I could have asked for spotters. I was working facing into the rig, so if it had occurred to me, I could have set up the safety bars that we use for heavy squatting. At the time though, those things simply didn’t occur to me. Ah well, another time.

In between sets, I grabbed a 25# KB and did some one arm swings with all of my weight loaded on my right leg. I thought I could make a go of that for the METCON.

I showed my technique to Doug and he corrected me, “no, use two hands and do a standard Russian swing.”

I questioned him about it and he explained, “you can do quarter squats, right? So let’s start working the knee gradually. Keep the weight light and let’s see how it goes.”

It made a lot of sense, so that’s what we did. With that light a weight, I was able to do get through the entire workout unbroken and know ill side-effects. I made one modification to the sit ups. Typically we butterfly our feet, with soles touching in front of us and knees spread outward. That was uncomfortable, so I simply went with bent knees and feet flat on the floor. I finished the METCON in 6:45. It was a very satisfying work out.

I greatly appreciate the time and thought Doug has put into working with me pretty much since I started working out under his guidance last August. Yes, I’ve been injured just that long! The last six months though have been really challenging with the blood clot and the meniscus tear. Doug has been great about coaching me through, finding scaled exercises, being patient with me, everything. I made sure today to let him know how much I appreciate all he’s done.