Some days we scale…some days it’s best to take the WOD at face value, accept your strengths and weaknesses and just hit them head on.

Tuesday, November 8

Segment 1:
Handstand Pushups
10 minutes of practice

Worked on kipping form here trying to string one or two handstand push ups together with mixed results. The most significant thing to come from this segment was a strained muscle in my neck. It was annoying, but not debilitating. Enough to make me self conscious of just about every movement after it occurred.

Segment 2:
EMOM for 8 minutes
5 HSPUs or scale

In light of the stiff neck, I elected to do handstand holds here. 7 rounds of 25 second holds. The final minute I went upside down with the intent of doing a max effort hold, with the hope of staying inverted the full minute. Didn’t happen. Brought my feet down between 25-30 sec.

Segment 3:
AMRAP 15 minutes:
30 Double Unders
15 Power Cleans (Rx: 115/80 S1: 85/55 S2: 65/35)
30 Double Unders
15 Toes to Bar (S1: Knees to Elbows S2: Hanging Knee Raises)

I’ve been avoiding double unders for a while because they aggrivate my calf. Decided to test my rehab efforts today.

Coach Doug was pretty explicit that if our double unders were failing us and they were taking longer than 30-40 seconds each round, we were supposed to abandon them at that point and move forward with the WOD.

It’s not possible to modify that way during a competition. You kind of have to take the WOD as it comes and manage the best you can. So that was the mindset I used for today. I told myself, “Accept that the double unders are likely going to confound you and slow you down. Don’t get frustrated as the group runs away from you. Stay focused. Do the work and do what you can.”

Things went ok. I completed 2 full rounds, plus an additional 59 reps. Some rounds of double unders when better than others. At least twice I was able to finish in just two sets. At least one round contained multiple times where I only stuck a single rep then tripped. Mostly, I’m glad I was able to stay calm and keep moving forward. Will I be that calm on competition day? Who knows? For today, I’m satisfied that I was a bit stubborn, a bit tenacious and didn’t freak out when things didn’t work my way. That’s enough for today.

As for the crick in my neck? A day spent alternating between mobility and employing a warm rice bag has it feeling much better, but not completely pain free.